Monday, May 14, 2007

A Tale of Two Fish


Marlboro Man checks out the new aquarium.

On Saturday a few of us rode our bikes to the Lilac Festival in Highland Park. We locked the bikes up to the fence by the reservoir and walked around the park. I left my helmet in my trunk (metal milk crate) because it's old and crappy and I don't care if it gets stolen. When we got back to the bikes I found a surprise in my helmet- the two fish pictured above! Someone must have won them and not wanted them. Jude saw it as an act of meaness while I saw it as a sweet surprise. Normally people just throw garbage in my basket- if it had been two dead halibut I would have been pissed. The fish in their plastic bags fit snuggly in my helmet (I forgot I could have used B's mobile phone to take a picture of them) so there they stayed for the ride home. I wonder how many fish have ever gone on a bike ride. Of course I sadly imagine their imminent death as they are carnival fish who had an extra traumatic experience. I had to relocate them from their nice perch on the red bookshelf because evil Irma had her cat's eye on them and I found evidence that she had tried to climb the shelf. I decided to call them Helmut and Yo-Yo due to the circumstances of their arrival and as a nod to Jim Jarmusch (from his film "Night on Earth"). I just hope they enjoyed the bike ride. -JL

3 comments:

LKB said...

What a great story, and yes, a wonderful surprise!!

I had a carnival fish - Sigfried - that lived for over 10 years, so I have high hopes for these little cuties.

He was a great fish. I won him at the Batavia carnival during an all-nighter (Marnie, the night I met Danno). He lasted from high school to grad school and stayed in Rochester. He lost all of his orange color when he got old. My mom took care of him. Long live Sigfried.

Read about my new fish here:
http://lesliekbrown.blogspot.com/2007/04/photogenic-fish.html

Marnie said...

Ah yes, the infamous Dan. I would say the fish was the better outcome for that evening!

Long live the carnival fish!

LKB said...

I didn't see your fish when we visited Jenn, did they go to fish heaven?

- lkb